rationale behind hate crimes

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 09:10:02 PST 2001

I don't follow you here. The concept is irrelevant to what? Moreover, I do not know whether hate crime legislation deters hate crimes, nor do you; and even if it does not, it may not be a "feel good" measure (an invidiosu label; I would use the term "symbolic"). It may be purely retributive. Mayby people. myself among them, think that retribution is a legitimate justification for imposing criminal sanctions. And I think that symbolic legislation is also fine apart from retribution: it announces a social commitment to a policy that may have wider affects than deterring the prohibited sort of action. I have no objectuion to punishing croimes committed from hate more severely--in principle. I would like to see a particular statute in black and white, of course. --jks