rationale behind hate crimes

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jan 11 10:36:36 PST 2001

At 05:10 PM 1/11/01 +0000, Justin wrote:
>I don't follow you here. The concept is irrelevant to what? Moreover, I do
>not know whether hate crime legislation deters hate crimes, nor do you; and
>even if it does not, it may not be a "feel good" measure (an invidiosu
>label; I would use the term "symbolic"). It may be purely retributive. Mayby
>people. myself among them, think that retribution is a legitimate
>justification for imposing criminal sanctions. And I think that symbolic

It would be retributive, if it allowed a more severe penalty than those imposed in its absence. But as I understood Charles' argument, this is not the case, e.g. a murderer will still get the death penalty or a life sentence even in the absence of the hate crime legislation. That prompted my inquiry, because it seems that writing hate crme legislation into law is not a very effective way of stopping hate groups.

A better way would be declaring certain groups, such as the Nazi party, the KKK, and the assorted militias as criminal (as the Nazi SS had been) and punishing membership or advocacy on behalf of them. My only concern is that, knowing the people who call themselves the government in this country, groups like this one would soon get similar treatment.

wojtek