bay guardian interview Bursting bubbles Doug Henwood says mean things about the new economy.

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 12 17:47:59 PST 2001

>Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> says:
>
>On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Carl Remick wrote:
>> >Yeah, but nobody *needs* a Cassandra after the fact.
>>
>>After the fact, you're not a Cassandra. You're an expert. It's only
>>before that people think you're being hysterical.
>
>You guys must lead a more sheltered life than I. That is NOT my
>experience. If I make a prediction too far out people think I'm
>a nut. When the prediction comes true, they do not remember my
>prediction, they remember that I'm a nut.
>
>I have to set it up as a bet, and make them pay.
>
>--
>John K. Taber

Whichever may be the case, now is the best time to release a book on the "new economy." Too bad that Verso is not out to make as much profits as possible. If it were, the Verso editors would be on Doug's case all the time, speeding up the publication.

Yoshie

P.S. A "gradual student" with a perpetually unfinished dissertation like yours truly, however, is not in a position to lecture Doug on tardiness, alas. I humbly request that the astonishingly prolific Michael Perelman put spurs to Doug.