Minimum Wage

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Tue Jan 16 09:42:32 PST 2001

Texas has a minimum wage that is less than the federal standard. I thought it was $3.35 an hour (about a half dozen states have state minimums less than the federal minimums). I know that higher state minimums (like Massachusetts' $6.75/hr.) supercede federal mins, but I don't know what happens when the state min is lower. It sounds mostly like a scam to hurt the most vulnerable (those for whom knowing or redressing legal issues are the most difficult).

I received a "sub-minimum wage" in my first job (1979, $1.95/hr, WI) which was legal for agricultural work. My job was not agricultural at all but because my employer could get away with it (laws are one thing, enforcement is another) I got paid less. My father insistence I work hard and learn the value of a dollar woefully backfired as all I learned about was exploitation. Interestingly, my first superviser's daughter (I worked 9 summer's as a janitor but only the first year was paid a sub-minimum wage) is now the head of Wisconsin's Department of Workforce Development (the labor department).

Jim

At 11:24 AM 1/16/01, kelley wrote:
>curious, how is the min wage figure derived, below? i assume they're
>including migrant labor wages and those paid to immigrants who are working
>off the books?
>
>"Bush opposes affirmative action, and presides over a state that has a
>minimum wage of only $3.15 an hour. "
>
>from Manning Marable's
>>RACISM AND THE FIGHT FOR DEMOCRACY

" . . . they never told him the cost of bringing home his weekly pay

and when the courts decide how much they owe him

how will he spend his money

as he lies in bed and coughs his life away?"

from "He Fades Away" by Alistair Hulett