Who Rules America Today?

Suresh Naidu antikafka at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 15:13:55 PST 2001

Yeah, I don't really see representative government as a paragon of democratic success....But that's a larger question of accountable, participatory institutions... On what basis would members of the FOMC be elected? Can you really run a campaign on what the interest rate should be? I'm still thinkin' the Fed needs to be scrapped, and replaced with someother method of monetary control.

I was thinking that the Fed is really transparent to the rich, and pretty opaque to everyone else. Big investors get up-to-the minute information on Fed moves and can form expectations on the same information, having (better?) trained analysts. We, however, don't see the impact of interest rate hacks until they show up in the grocery store or paycheck. Perhaps democratizing the Fed would be some way of making the information that the FOMC and the banks have at their disposal show up in the price and wage information that regular folk have....Doing that without planning...