Who Rules America Today?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 15 15:53:00 PST 2001

Suresh Naidu wrote:

> Perhaps
> democratizing the Fed would be some way of making the information that the
> FOMC and the banks have at their disposal show up in the price and wage
> information that regular folk have....Doing that without planning...

A movement that had the power to "democratize the Fed" would easily have the power to eliminate the Fed, eliminate the military budget and transfer the savings to social agencies like free abortion clinics, free vacations in Italy for all mothers, Broadway Shows in Iowa City, and the outlawing of college footbal. It would be a pity to throw that power away on messing with the fed.

Actually, I think most of Max's reforms are like that. A movement that had the power to bring about those reforms could overthrow the empire just as easily. That is the sense in which they are completely utopian. It's like inventing a drug to cure cancer, AIDS, and cholera, and only using it to reducd the pain on hurt fingers.

Carrol