Jazz

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 17 19:15:01 PST 2001

Just wanted to put in a good word for Ken Burns' monumental series on jazz (the 5th installment airs on PBS tonight). Knowledgeable critics have faulted Burns for slighting contemporary jazz, indulging in hagiography and assorted other ills, and I'm sure there's merit in what they say. Nonetheless, I have found the series a total delight. It was worth the eight hours or so of viewing to date simply to learn of the wonderful clarinetist/saxophonist Sidney Bechet -- whom I'd somehow missed my entire life -- and he's just one giant among many examined in this tremendous documentary. As a window on U.S. musical and racial history, this really is must-see TV.