Jazz

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Jan 17 11:51:17 PST 2001

Carl Remick wrote:

> Just wanted to put in a good word for Ken Burns' monumental series on jazz
> (the 5th installment airs on PBS tonight). Knowledgeable critics have
> faulted Burns for slighting contemporary jazz, indulging in hagiography and
> assorted other ills, and I'm sure there's merit in what they say.
> Nonetheless, I have found the series a total delight. It was worth the
> eight hours or so of viewing to date simply to learn of the wonderful
> clarinetist/saxophonist Sidney Bechet -- whom I'd somehow missed my entire
> life -- and he's just one giant among many examined in this tremendous
> documentary. As a window on U.S. musical and racial history, this really is
> must-see TV.

I don't have access to cable right now so I haven't had a chance to see this.

In this new series, does Burns lather on the cheesy patriotism like he did in previous series?

In other words, can I still play the Ken Burns drinking game, which involves taking a swig every time somebody says "America"?

Chuck0