Jazz

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 18 17:26:37 PST 2001

>On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer wrote:
> >
> > The problem with Burns, apart from tone, is one of pacing.
> > He tends to go deep in the early installments, and
> > oftentimes comes up with very rich material.
>
>I not only dislike Burns for his own work, but for the
>pernicious influence he's had on the whole genre of PBSish
>documentaries. He created a style that was
>commercially successful and now nearly everyone else apes the
>style.

Yes, Burns' style is stultifyingly formulaic. But in this case I prefer to focus on the often valuable message and ignore the messenger. One thing for sure is that Burns' muscial taste has improved. I gave up on his Civil War series about halfway through because I couldn't stand that mournful fiddle playing any longer.

Carl