Fwd: Jazz, again

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 18 18:23:06 PST 2001

Agreed about the role of Marsalis. I listen to mostly classic, i.e., older jazz myself, but the problem with M is not his retro taste. It was identified by Duke Ellington in the 1930s: It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing. M and the Lincoln Center crowd do not swing. That is a reason I do not own any of his discs anymore; I sold them all, traded them in for stuff that swings, older and newer. --jks