back up horror stories

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Thu Jan 18 13:48:01 PST 2001

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, kelley wrote:

> first, anyone remember julian's (from the UK; sociology of music diss)
> email address. i recall that he migrated to a provider in the UK, begins
> with a B, had some problems with a hackers early last summer... i ask
> because julian had a funny story about someone who had his diss stored in
> about 5 different ways.

Hmm, no 'B', how about a 'P'?

Julian Thomas <julian.thomas at dial.pipex.com> ?

Or his uni address:

jmt111 at mercury.anglia.ac.uk

> one about bad subjects listers getting resubbed because bad
> list admin didn't back up the subscriber list as they
> should.

Ths bad list admin didn't do squat for the list, truth be told, never mind back it up. And it was run on the most pathetic excuse for listmanager software I ever heard of before or since. On a fscking Mac to boot. It's damn amazing the thing *ever* worked!

> some of you probably remember how Carenegie's e-server would
> go down for days.

Not *Carnegie's*, CMU's *English Server*. Christ, CMU is a major geek school -- the geeks would never put up with that shit. Only sombody from the Humanities would think of running an abortion like that thing.

<asbestos underwear in place>

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com