Jazz

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jan 18 16:30:22 PST 2001

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, John Halle wrote:

> Bartok, Schoenberg, Berg, Shostakovich, Ives, or the Beatles (for that
> matter) etc. are not on the LBO map, it seems.

It's not that at all. When you asked if Armstrong was the greatest musician, we (or at least I) assumed you meant instrumentalist. Jazz is the genre that allows musicianship the greatest sway. If you'd said composer, then the answers would have been all classical, and if you'd asked about the most influential musician, then the answers would have been all pop.

Michael