Jazz

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Fri Jan 19 10:37:14 PST 2001

> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:58:41 -0400
> From: "Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer" <bauerperrin at mindspring.com>
> Subject: Re: Jazz
>
> >I actually spent several months last year waking up to just this
> >show. I'd lie still and listen attentively - even as Schaap (and
> >that's Bill Schaap, the very same guy who published the Covert Action
> >Information Bulletin - now the Covert ActioN Quarterly - and brother
> >of sportscaster Dick Schaap) would play the same riff over & over,
> >offering commentary between plays. The hero-worship struck me as a
> >bit odd, and the music just never grabbed me. I'd much rather listen
> >to Wozzeck or Sister Ray.
> >
> >Doug
>

> Um, Doug, that's Phil Schaap. He's one of the talking heads on Burns'
> series. (And yes, he does get into the minutae a bit too much.) I rather
> doubt that Covert Action Bill would listen so attentively to jazz -- unless
> he was looking for secret CIA messages therein.
>
> DP

Oh damn. I so wanted this to be true.

But whose brother is Dick Shaap?

By the way, Michael Denning, whose book The Cutural Front I would highly recommend to those interested in these questions, recently asked me whether i knew if McCoy Tyner is Jarvis Tyner's brother. I didn't. Does anyone know?

John