organizing college footballers

Fri Jan 19 10:39:04 PST 2001

>>> dhenwood at panix.com 01/19/01 10:55AM >>>
Chronicle of Higher Education - web daily - January 19, 2001

UCLA Football Players Turn to United Steelworkers for Advice on Improving Conditions By WELCH SUGGS

The United Steelworkers of America is advising a group of current and former football players at the University of California at Los Angeles, who are organizing to fight for stipends, better health insurance, and job training from the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

CB: One of the most open and gaulling forms of exploitation of youth in the U.S. is the ripoff of college athletes based on the amateur theory snafu which goes something like " oh, we can not let you young people be sullied by filthy lucre, so we wise college dons will just have to take all the $$$$$$ ".