Jazz

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 10:44:14 PST 2001

Nothing is wrong with just jamming; but you seem to identify "composition" exclusively with a written score. Someone was musically sophisticated as you will know about head arrangements, which are in effect compositions, particular if they are head arrangement sof original works. Anyway, you will also know that improvisation was a part of the baroque practice: is it Bach's Fifth Brandenburg Concerto that has an improv section? This wasn't unusual. However, you can have the word "composition" if you want it. I willa lso give you "virtuoso." Any other words you want? Btw, I don't know the Parker pieces you are referring to. --jks