The sun also goes down...

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Fri Jan 19 11:07:40 PST 2001

Watching the japanese-language news on the international cable channel, during a piece on the California "power" crisis, up pops Scott MacNealy, Sun Micro CEO for a few seconds, then switch to a shot of a the interior of a completely darkened Sun facility.

I go to work, and the net is down! (After ~2 hours it came up briefly, only to go down again after 30 mins). Yes, the crap is truly hitting the fan. But give us more time to discuss politics at work. Guess we'll find out how much clout S.V. really has.

But the motivation for this vignette is: I'm interested in information on the electrical power industry, at the levels of ownership, market pricing, profits, as well as physical plant distribution and kilowatt-hour supply and demand (especially historical series supply and usage). Of course, I've begun my own research through the expected sources (more or less questionable) like consumer advocates, DOE, etc., but this will take some time and it would be nice to know if this info isn't already gathered up in a handy place.

After all, they're trying to tell us that "there isn't enough supply" because we haven't "been paying the true market price". Well, let's see about that...

-Brad Mayer Oakland, CA