Jazz

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Jan 19 20:14:13 PST 2001

At 03:43 AM 1/20/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Who denies this? In fact, the theoretical point was masde with great
>richness and complexity by Gramsci; Lukacs was a literary critic; Marx
>himself,w hile not making a theoretical broughaha about it, wove literaure
>(in particular) in the frabric of hsi writing (see S. Prawer's wonderful
>Karl Marx and World Literature); the CPUSA, despite its theoretical
>primativeness, made "cultural hegemony" a major point of the pop front:
>the New Masses, proletarian literature; the folk music movement, the
>Hollywood screenwriters. Alan Wald has a study of thsi--has it been
>publsihed? I mean in an accessible, non-journalsitic form. Ina ddition,
>there is his work on the New York Intellectuals, about the anti-Stalinist
>left, who were critics and writers, one and all. --jks

when i said abstract, i didn't mean that it was above the heads of anyone. although i do think that one has to learn how to appreciate (criticize) art and music. rather, i meant that it was not concrete. it was dissociated from the art work itself. what exactly about 'the drum also waltzes' prefigures utopia, for example?