contemporary pop music

Uday Mohan udaym at igc.org
Sat Jan 20 15:26:00 PST 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote: But I haven't heard much rock taht moved me
> since [New Wave].

Definitely Sleater-Kinney, Sonic Youth, Fugazi, some Le Tigre (much of their stuff sounds 20 years old), some Built to Spill, etc. But what about the house/drum and bass genres? Or do these genres have little appeal to most rock fans? If so, is it because house/drum and bass emphasize electronics, or because they deemphasize to an extreme the blues/r&b elements of rock? Or is it something else? I find that most people I know who loved punk/new wave don't listen to this newer music, and I'm not quite sure why.

Uday