On the important French Fry Question

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Sun Jan 21 16:23:45 PST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Joanna Sheldon wrote:

> So we should approve of being colonised, should we, Kel --
> and Yoshie, and Steve and anybody else who thinks that when
> the people refuse to pay to be abused they're rising above
> themselves?

Look, eat wherever you like, just don't try and tell me that I am failing in my solidarity by eating at McD's or shopping at WalMart (which *is* what John was doing). I notice you post from a Cornell address, well I've heard Kelley's take on Ithaca and it comports with my experience of Madison WI -- 'feel good' localism. Shopping w/o guilt! Blech.

But I don't live a nice crunchy place like Ithaca or Madtown or even Austin. There are *no* local alternatives were I live or work. When I lived in the city proper, there were precious few, (and of dubious ethical value, if of aesthetic use).

Tell you what, I'll by you a bus ticket (airplanes are nasty and wasteful -- buses much better :) and you can come to Houston and show me how to shop without enriching some nasty corporation that exploits its workers.

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com

"An average scrapple loaf contains the rectums of 4 swine."