On the important French Fry Question

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Jan 21 16:30:43 PST 2001

At 10:47 AM 1/22/01 +1100, Joanna Sheldon wrote:
>So we should approve of being colonised, should we, Kel -- and Yoshie, and
>Steve and anybody else who thinks that when the people refuse to pay to be
>abused they're rising above themselves?

no, the point is that there are a slew of places that could have been mentioned. anti walmart sentiments are fine, but if it's only about mom and pops, then you'll forgive me if i point out that mom and pops are no better at being good members of the community, easy on environment, etc than are walmarts of the world. that's why i said it was an elitist comment. to suggest that people aren't trying to do what they can or that they don't care about what they eat is elitist snobbishness. maybe they do care but they just don't have access to the knowledge, information, yadda. any study on poor people and what they take seriously as medical advice will explain how they don't use the same kinds of information resources white middle class folks do. so, when people get off the blame individuals horse they rode in on, then i'll shut up about it all. it's not that the sentiments are wrong, it's *how* one goes about educatin' the po folk about how they just don't care about their health or other people or the environment.

kelley