On the important French Fry Question

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 22 01:01:22 PST 2001

At 17:58 22-01-01, kelley wrote:
>http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/01/schlosser.htm
>Why McD's Fries Taste So Good. (confirms what doug said, but goes further
>into the aroma industry that makes stuff smell tasty so we buy it)

"A typical artificial strawberry flavor, like the kind found in a Burger King strawberry milk shake, contains the following ingredients: amyl acetate, amyl butyrate, amyl valerate, anethol, anisyl formate, benzyl acetate, benzyl isobutyrate, butyric acid, cinnamyl isobutyrate, cinnamyl valerate, cognac essential oil, diacetyl, dipropyl ketone, ethyl acetate, ethyl amyl ketone, ethyl butyrate, ethyl cinnamate, ethyl heptanoate, ethyl heptylate, ethyl lactate, ethyl methylphenylglycidate, ethyl nitrate, ethyl propionate, ethyl valerate, heliotropin, hydroxyphenyl-2-butanone (10 percent solution in alcohol), a-ionone, isobutyl anthranilate, isobutyl butyrate, lemon essential oil, maltol, 4-methylacetophenone, methyl anthranilate, methyl benzoate, methyl cinnamate, methyl heptine carbonate, methyl naphthyl ketone, methyl salicylate, mint essential oil, neroli essential oil, nerolin, neryl isobutyrate, orris butter, phenethyl alcohol, rose, rum ether, g-undecalactone, vanillin, and solvent."

And all I want is a strawberry that tastes like a strawberry. Something our grandparents would have taken for granted but which is almost impossible to find anymore.

It occurs to me to wonder why we're surprised the cancer rates are so high.

Joanna

www.overlookhouse.com