On the important French Fry Question

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 22 09:05:10 PST 2001

>Student anti-sweatshop activists, taking their cue from the workers,
>are opposed to boycotts against the likes of Nike. They want the
>workers to be well paid and decently treated and free to organize,
>not disemployed.
>
>Doug

Really? That's not my impression. Of course you don't want to see Third World workers tossed into the dirt, but then why have student anti-sweatshop activists demanded that universities NOT enter into sweetheart deals with Nike? This was raised when Nike essentially bought off the athletic depts. at the University of Kentucky and St. John's. Also, I've yet to see anti-sweatshop activists wearing Nike gear. Maybe some do; perhaps many. But I haven't seen it.

DP