On the important French Fry Question

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 22 09:25:21 PST 2001

Right now the author of that new book Fast Food Nation, is talking about french fries, on Fresh Air on NPR. If you aren't by the radio right now (different NPR stations play Terry at various times anyway) they usually get the shows archived within a day. Now he's talking about Clinton's favorite poultry, Tyson's. Where did I read that the rivers of AR. are full of chicken poop from Tyson's thanks to weak regulation? Hmm, now he's talking about the sharecropping in the chicken biz. And working in the meatpacking plants. He says back in the 70's (when the leftish Meatpackers Union was stronger, no?) cows were slaughtered at a rate of about 175 an hr. Now it's 350+. I'll have to get this book and send it to my Mom! Along with the Sue Coe bok on Animal slaughter? And The Snith's, "Meat Is Murder!" http://whyy.org/freshair/

Michael Pugliese, carnivore, loves those carnitas burritos...