On the important French Fry Question (morality of consumption decisions)

John Thornton jthorn16 at home.com
Mon Jan 22 08:43:28 PST 2001

Well, where to start taking up the points of attack against me?

Yoshie "morally correct consumption is a luxury that only those who don't & can't afford to count their own money can afford." "By Johns criteria, only the rich...can live morally correct lives." I can count the meager pennies that I have in just a few seconds so I guess that means I can't allow my morals to interfere with my consumption. Last time I checked McD's was MORE expensive than food prepared at home and brought to work in a plain brown sack. Certainly isn't MY criteria you're referring too.

kelley "[Johns] outrage expressed here was anything other than elitism." "blaming people for daring to live in a community that really doesn't have an alternative." "Mom & pops are no better at being good members of the community...than are the WalMarts of the world." "ain't I just the kewlest because I don't patronize..." I never suggested coolness had anything to do with it but you're free to infer anything negative about me you wish. I never knew I was an elitist, thank you for setting me straight. I guess that means that the few small towns in this country that pride themselves on being WalMart free are also just being elitists. The Slow-Cities movement in Italy is packed full of elitists too, right? As far as mom & pops go, it depends on the store. I have personally met the owner of a nearby grocery store and talked with him. I told him why I shopped at his store in spite of the less than stellar produce and higher prices. I'm certain David Glass would have just as approachable and concerned about my neighbourhood. He pays the same wages as WalMart and has benefits for his employees. Communities that have NO alternatives? I have a hard time with this line of reasoning. I've lived in a lot of places and my experience is that alternatives exist everywhere if you're willing to be inconvenienced for your beliefs. No one ever said doing the right thing would be convenient.

jf noonan "a simple fact of life [that] any attempt to believe you can 'responsibly' consume is a big fat lie that you tell yourself and others." So you believe that ALL consumption decisions carry the same moral weight? Buy from a slave owner, buy from an artesian, it's all the same. Pretty fucking convenient for us.

Leo Casey "monastic moralism in which one separates oneself from the corrupt world, rather than seek to transform it." I was under the impression that if you couldn't be true to yourself you sure as hell can't be true to anything else. I function in society and try to transform it. By your logic if I refuse to participate in any part (patronize WalMart) of our society I am separating myself from it. Nothing could be further from the truth. We all make decisions about what level of involvement we feel comfortable with everyday. To say we must be 'realistic' is most often to accept the vision of realism put forth by people in power who wish to stay there.

Carrol Cox "individualistic moralism is primarily a rejection of class solidarity." Individualistic moralism is the first step in achieving true solidarity. They both sound pretty good don't they? I can't prove mine. Can you prove yours?