On the important French Fry Question (morality of consumption decisions)

Maureen Anderson manders at midway.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 24 18:26:32 PST 2001

John:

>Well, where to start taking up the points of attack against me?

No one attacked you. You were mildly tweaked for suggesting that folks can't be on the left and ever eat at a fast-food chain.

And for sounding just a bit too much like those types in line at the supermarket who get all indignant when they see people using food stamps to purchase coke, doritos, or similar comfort foods.

Maureen who once read an interview where Domino's-owner Tom Monihan waxed lyrical on how poorness is an "exciting" challenge and speculated on how much more cheaply a person could live by shopping at a horsefeed store and living off a huge sack of grain. ( btw, rest assured I was more than happy to participate in the quite effective boycott against Dominoes/Monihan's conservative (esp. anti-abortion) politics. Even though the pizza at Little Caesars is really dreadful.)