On the important French Fry Question (morality of consumption decisions)

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Jan 24 18:40:19 PST 2001

Stigler, George. 1945. The Cost of Subsistence." Journal of Farm Economics, 27 (May): pp. 303-14.

He estimates the minimum cost of an annual diet to be less than $40 in 1939 and less than $60 in 1944. His diet consists of wheat flour, evaporated milk cabbage, spinach, navy beans, pan cake flour and pork liver.

He won the Nobel Prize in economics.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu