The alleged "Racak Massacre"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 22 22:05:04 PST 2001

>On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Brad DeLong wrote:
>
>> I think that's a bit naive: few of those questioning Racak are also
>> pointing out that there were other massacres...
>
>I think you're misremembering, Brad. Almost everyone that originally
>pointed out the holes in the Racak massacre story when it came out, from
>Noam and Diana Johnston on down, accepted in writing the State Department
>estimate put out the previous October that an estimated 2000 people were
>being killed a year in Kosovo, 9/10ths of them Albanians. They simply
>pointed out that, unfortunately, that could be said of a lot of places in
>the world. Like Colombia, for example, where we're on the opposite side,
>with the army and its paramilitaries, and against the rebels.
>
>Michael

About 2,000 people, the large majority of whom were civilians, were killed during the 1989 U.S. invasion of Panama. (Some human rights orgs have a higher estimate than this, & I'm putting here one of the conservative numbers.) Keep in mind that the invasion of Panama was of a much shorter duration than the counter-insurgency warfare in Kosovo.

Yoshie