your mail

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Tue Jan 23 09:22:49 PST 2001

Comrades Peter and Christopher, just do EVERYONE a favour and ignore this shit. Giving these rascals attention only encourages them, as the saying goes. (My personal view, anyway.)

I've lost so many Southern African friends--clean-living folk, activists, people who are middle-class and who are poor, and who, universally, could not afford the cocktails needed to stay alive because of fucking patents and profiteering multinational drug companies--that it sickens me to run into AIDS-denialists. (Especially in Pretoria, in the president's office, where it's merely a front for fiscal constraints to a humane AIDS policy.) Pretending there's a science worth debating here, after all we've been through, in the middle of a Black Plague pandemic, simply distracts us from the essential tasks at hand.

(If you want those tasks, you can check an interview I did this month with Zackie Achmat, the leader of SA's heroic Treatment Action Campaign, in the next Multinational Monitor; would put it up on screen here but I don't know if there's a copyright problem...)