Christopher B. Hajib-Niles cniles at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 24 02:36:36 PST 2001

> and who was arguing three years ago that protease inhibitors would
> not help but would hurt AIDS patients...

Yes, I remember the "Lazarus effect" stories that were circulated about the protease inhibitors. But don't forget: straight up AZT had a lazarus like effect on some people, too. It did not last, of course, and that drug-fix honeymoon is now over. The PI honeymoon (which includes AZT) is pretty much over, too. They have serious side effects, there is absolutely no scientific proof that they work, and even the manufacturers make it clear that they do not cure AIDS. In short, just like the vast majority of drugs for serious illnesses, they often have very different, and sometimes unanticipated, effects on people. To imply that they work--while ignoring the many health complications and deaths that have resulted from their ingestion (or complications thereof)--is not responsible.

Chirs