Free Mike!

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jan 24 11:20:49 PST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Today's Feed daily is my plea to Free Mike Milken!
> <http://www.feedmag.com/templates/select_template.php3?a_id=1581>.
> Though they wouldn't let me use those three words as the closing line.

R.W. Johnson made a similar argument about the canonization of Pope Pius XII in the London Review of Books last March. He ended his review of _Hitler's Pope_ by saying that the author "wants above all to block the canonisation of Pius XII because this would, in effect, canonise evil, splitting the European and American Church and, as he sees it, damaging the Catholic edifice beyond repair . . . [I]n the end my Catholic childhood rebels against this view. Some things can, after all, get rotten beyond repair. If the canonisation of Eugenio Pacelli can do that much damage to Holy Mother Church, then I'm all for it."