negating non-intervention

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Jan 1 16:07:02 PST 2001

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> ***** Since 1994, the Clinton administration's "China Policy" has
> gradually revealed clear political orientation, namely engagement and
> enlargement, more simply referred to as a policy of engagement.<15>

Yes, exactly. My whole worry was that these people talked like that's the one thing they wanted to change. But you're probably right and my worry is groundless. Capitalist self-interest will count for much more than any such so-called "ideas." As I now recall, Clinton peddled a similar version from the liberal side when he was campaigning, about how the Republicans had backbone in dealing with China, something to do with the butchers of Tiennamen Square, and that sure got dropped instantly once he was in power. So for better and for worse we'll probably have exactly the same foreign policy we would have had if they'd counted the votes. More than likely Gore, facing a Congress like this and an even worse one in two years, would probably have let the missle system keep on going as well.

Thanks for the reality check.

Michael