CHAT: Americans wondering...

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Mon Jan 1 16:58:00 PST 2001

In article <5.0.2.1.0.20010102075124.00a68920 at mail.dingoblue.net.au>, cjs10 at cornell.edu (Joanna Sheldon) wrote:

> AMERICANS ANNOYED BY "ALL THIS INTERNATIONAL SHIT" ON INTERNET
> Web's Increasingly Worldly Flavor Threatens Americans' Worldview

(Not in a good mood warning hereby given) I increasingly - and my mood hasn't been improved by becoming a near-island amongst the record breaking floods in the last few months, courtesy of global warming (and bloody Americans) - I increasingly, as I was saying, grow sympathetic to the old 1980s Iranian view of the USA being the Great Satan and the urgent task of all decent persons being to kill Americans wherever and whenever they can ...

Perhaps I'll feel a bit more generous when the flood water subsides and the dose of 'flu abates, and I'd been able to celebrate the real millenium instead of a stiff dose of ibuprufen, and if the central heating hadn't broken down irretrievably leaving us stranded in the coldest snap we've had for years (which has frozen the flood waters impressively much to the delight of my little 3 year old daughter) at the same time as the 'flu has struck.

Happy bloody new year to all of you as well...

Buried in the midst of that virus-addled meander responding to the satirical posting (which struck me, as does the best satire, of being just close enough to the truth to hurt) is a serious point I suppose: how can the rest of the world deal with the Americans (collectively, for some of my best friends etc.) as it is becoming clear that "we" need to do so as an imperative for general survival?