law of value (jim o'connor)

Barbara Laurence cns at cats.ucsc.edu
Wed Jan 24 18:12:05 PST 2001

Charles, true enough. If you add to Marx's statement about "every child knows you need a certain amount of labor to produce a certain number of products" is his letter to I forgot who - if you add the market (circulation), a truism becomes a theory of sorts. The claim is now something that every child doesn't know. The quantity of labor deployed in this and that industry or sector is determined by something else. Namely, the market, which determines socially necessary labor, i.e., the labor that produces products that sell at their costs plus the average profit rate. If something is produced and not sold, the labor of course can't be and isn't socially necessary. This is why I never really understood the point of the so-called transformation problem. Socially necessary labor produces value, but exactly how much no one can know until the market has cleared (or not). Know what I mean? Are there comments on the law of value? As - the greater is worker productivity (the richer the worker makes the capitalist), the smaller is the value of labor power (hence cet. par. the poorer the worker becomes). The worker becomes literally poorer if money wages fall when the cost of consumer items fall such that real wages remain constant. If money wages remain the same, then clearly real wages rise when the cost of the consumption basket falls).