Free Mike!

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 25 06:49:31 PST 2001

>On a related topic, I was struck by the cover of the latest Nation -
>a picture of W with the caption "A Tainted Presidency." Only someone
>who thought there was something fundamentally untainted about the
>presidency - that its occupant wasn't the chief executive of the
>world bourgeoisie, presiding over a system of expropriation and
>violence - could put together a cover like that.
>
>Doug

You should have an old chin-wag with them Doug. This, I fear, is only the beginning. The Nation is going to thrive over the next four years, and "tainted" covers will be the least of it. Saw Katrina V. on Hardball last night, "debating" Rich Lowry of National Review. She's very telegenic, but I'm afraid she lends too much of a centrist/lib gloss to the Nation. Listening to her was no different than listening to any one of a dozen talking head regulars who appear on these shows night after night. At least Hitch sticks out, calling people "war criminals" and "rapists." I'm afraid that our little Ms. K. lacks the political stomach for such attacks.

DP