Kosova Redux

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Fri Jan 26 00:05:06 PST 2001

At 19:13 25/01/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Chris Burford wrote:
>
>>However the balance of suffering still looks good to outside observers.
>
>What a strange concept, and strangely phrased. I guess I do like my
>suffering to be well-balanced, especially if I'm not feeling any of it
>personally.
>
>Doug

The Balance Sheet also includes the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, does it not? You have only to look at Indonesia and the Philippines to see rampanant Balkanisations today. Where will the deaths stop?

So the balance sheet in the Balkans includes the fact that Macedonia was not torn apart like Bosnia with its 200,000 deaths, and Albania was not flooded with imperished Albanians from Kosovo.

And, not least, that Kostunica has travelled to Sarajevo, and will not be overthrowing Djukanovic in Montenegro by force. That is enormously in the interests of the "proletariat" never mind about any one else.

(For Gordon's reference, yes I am not an anarchist, and I do think for the foreseeable future there will have to be armed bodies of men who at times hold guns to people's heads. Like very many leftists I am *glad* there is an occupation force of armed men in East Timor, and I think this is a *positive* aspect of the world state, that, through highly contradictory and impure processes, is emerging. )

Regards

Chris