Progressive Empire (NATO: A Global KKK?)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 25 07:57:21 PST 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>> What about the NATO of Powell and Rice?
>
>O Shit -- and even if i had the use of both hands
>this banality would not be worth a fuller response.

I don't know whether to feel annoyed or relieved.

Look, the point is that simple racialized analyses of imperialism don't work anymore. Two of the top administrators of the Empire are now black. Neither is a marginal figure, and one was the military leader of the Gulf War. More broadly, the senior staff of the IMF and World Bank are extremely integrated - as are many trading floors. Moreso than lots of left organizations, in fact.

Liberals were completely disarmed by the Thomas nomination - they just didn't know how to deal with a black reactionary. Evidently some Marxists don't know how to deal with the incorporation of nonwhites into the senior posts of the New World Order either.

Doug