Progressive Empire (NATO: A Global KKK?)

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 21:03:17 PST 2001

Hi again, Doug.

>I don't know whether to feel annoyed or relieved.

It's Carrol; feel annoyed. Works for me.

>Look, the point is that simple racialized analyses of imperialism
>don't work anymore. Two of the top administrators of the Empire are
>now black. Neither is a marginal figure, and one was the military
>leader of the Gulf War. More broadly, the senior staff of the IMF and
>World Bank are extremely integrated - as are many trading floors.
>Moreso than lots of left organizations, in fact.
>
>Liberals were completely disarmed by the Thomas nomination - they
>just didn't know how to deal with a black reactionary. Evidently some
>Marxists don't know how to deal with the incorporation of nonwhites
>into the senior posts of the New World Order either.

Marxists should. I remember writing to Charles at the time of their nomination that the clever incorporation of a couple of glossy dark skins at P. Avenue, was a nice way of taking public notice off the dark skins on soup kitchen queues, off electoral lists, in gaols, on slabs and packed hopelessly forty-to-a-condemned-classroom - oh, and the ones you find in places like Sudanese aspirin factories and on the Basra Road. Class is what's at work, and it will do with race what suits it.

Cheers, Rob.