report from Porto Alegre

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 26 11:35:49 PST 2001

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:31:40 +0100 (MET) From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen at idi.ntnu.no>

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:
> PORTO ALEGRE LOOKS AT OTHER SIDE OF GLOBALIZATION.

Writing this at the press center in Porto Alegre, and I must say I'm really impressed with this NGO-summit. 2200 delegates from almost 500 organisations worldwide, and, I am sure, over 10 000 other participants - this is huge. The march through Porto Alegre yesterday was at least as big as the demonstration in Prague, and more countries and organisations were present.

I know latin-americans love meetings, but it is somewhat insane to have 408 workshop meetings in less than four days. Still, this is a really productive summit, and I wonder what impact it will have in the lonnger term. They are already speaking of repeating it, and other cities have declared their interest in hosting it.

I just wish it wasn't so darn hot here. It is a whooping 45 degrees C difference from where I came from.

Yours, Per