Empire: Hardt responds

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 28 11:52:12 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:19:10 -0500 (EST)
> From: Michael Hardt <hardt at duke.edu>
>
> I think it is important to view Empire or globalization as multifaceted
> phenomena, which comprise a variety of processes and elements. My
> position is that Empire is a negative development (it brings new, more
> intense and more brutal forms of exploitation and domination, greater gap
> between rich and poor and within national space, terrifying oppression
> through military means and starvation, etc), but it is also simultaneously
> a positive development in that it creates greater potential for
> liberation.

A month or so from now when I have my right wrist back I may want to comment more concretely on this thread. But for now I would point out that this banal division of an entity into good and bad aspects was at the core of the cretinism that provoked _Poverty of Philosophy_.It can initiate entertaining mind games but has zilch relevance to changing the world.

Carrol