former Teamster "boss" Carey indicted

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Mon Jan 29 10:24:01 PST 2001

G'day Nathan,

Going on what little one gets to know here in the 52nd state, I'm inclined to agree with you, for what it's worth. And whatever perfectly regular irregularities pertained in AFL procedures, they pale in comparison next to the role of money in federal elections, and, as your recent posts so eloquently made clear, the outrageous and unprecedented corruption evident in the ascendancy of a pair of duly rejected reactionaries to the Whitehouse. If things get nasty for the AFL good-guys, I'm sure there's a useful set of parallels to be drawn by the right pamphleteer, eh?

BTW, I see in the papers that all the final counts, from hanging chads through dimpled chads to double-holes, put Gore well over the line. Is that getting much coverage stateside?

Cheers, Rob.