Kosova Redux

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Mon Jan 29 16:13:31 PST 2001

At 17:45 28/01/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Chris Burford wrote:
>
>>I think many people felt that, reactively. The left interventionist
>>position, with sanctions, peacekeeping troops, and if necessary, peace
>>making ie offensive ground troops, was not a reactive position but was a
>>proactive one.
>>
>>Not all situations can be changed, but I would have to put it to you and
>>others that if you did not want a repetition of Bosnia and Srebenica, had
>>you been in any position to influence the response of a western
>>government, or to campaign in a western country, what would you have
>>tried to do?
>
>We've been over this a hundred thousand times. It's grown beyond tedious
>and is well on its way to the deadly.
>
>Doug

I note that Dennis avoided responding to my invitation and I accept there may be a number of reasons for this as well as responding to Doug's brisk comments.

For my part I do not want to bore opponents into submission. I did not think it helpful to be inflammatory. Nevertheless I also did not want to overlook a suggestion that my position was ridiculous, which Dennis did not imply in his last post.

Perhaps this is a successful result to a thread: that both sides recognise they have clarified their differences as far as they can.

I do think differences will resurface in different forms and at different times. I am sure we have not heard of the last allegation of an atrocity in the world.

Chris Burford

London