labor/media

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Tue Jan 30 19:54:40 PST 2001

> From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com>
>

> Nathan Newman wrote:
> >The UAW monthly
> >magazine is actually not too bad
>
> - -Really? You mean Solidarity? Aside from the financial statements,
> - -with their mysterious $1 billion in assets, I find it mainly a
> - -snooze. Maybe I'm spoiled by Vanity Fair.
>
> And neither LBO nor Vanity Fair is particularly aimed at the average UAW
> member.

Why even discuss print media? Virtually no one gets their news from them anymore.

What's needed is a labor presence on electronic media, TV preferably but also radio, which is why I mentioned Hightower. If the AFL played its cards right they could have made him the pro-labor Limbaugh. I'm curious why they dumped him, as they have seemed to

Organized labor also should have strongly opposed the telecommunications bill which guaranteed corporations stranglehold on the media, which they use to screw labor-now more than ever.

Did Sweeney et. al. even make a peep about it?

John