demons did Gore in

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 31 05:50:20 PST 2001

Chris Kromm wrote:

>WWN is one of the best publications around. Ed Anger's "My America" column
>is always excellent. Read between the lines and I think you have some pretty
>progressive people with a well-developed sense of irony. But I'm just
>speculating.

Ed Anger's column in the Jan 30 issue is about how the U.S. has gone to hell ever since Nixon gave a bad name to public lying. The headline - really, I'm not making this up - is "Lying & cheating made America GREAT!" Ed's "madder than a schoolteacher with a rotten apple over the big hubbub about kids cheating in school." The hell with "crybaby teachers" complaining about it - "It's about time we got back to what made America great." Ever since Nixon got busted for lying - "telling some fibs," as Ed put it - we're all tied up in knots about telling the truth and not cheating. "Do you think great Americans like Teddy Roosevelt and Gen. George Patton worried about lying every time they talked to the troops before charging into battle? No way, Jose." Later, he fulminates: "Americans have a long and proud history of cheating." If 70% of kids are cheating in school, we need to get the other 30% "on the bandwagon." We should have cheating classes in school, starting in the first grade! Teach them to cheat on their taxes too!!

"And when we're all cheating, our great nation will be back on the right track again." Ed guarantees it.

Doug