the mind-numbing carrion of hope

Gregory Geboski ggeboski at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 07:10:52 PDT 2001

"The mind-numbing carrion of hope"--I was going to give Sale some points for a neat turn of phrase, but on closer inspection... y'know, even his metaphors don't stand up to analysis.

I'm worried that his book will give the intellectual coup de grace to the Luddites, dooming them as mere purveyors of romantic-pastoral despair, rather than as an historically understandable strand of the (yes, Sale) *continuing* struggle of working people to control the means of production.

Not that I plan to read his book--hell, I can't make it through his Nation essays. Are his historical research and analysis as bad as his journalistic think [sic] pieces?

----Original Message Follows---- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Subject: the mind-numbing carrion of hope Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:41:22 -0400

Anyone read the interview with Kirkpatrick Sale at <http://www.primitivism.com/sale.htm>? Amazing stuff. A couple of highlights:

>Q: Your thoughts on the coming year 2000 computer coding debacle. Do
>you see this potential disaster as helping to foment a new
>wellspring of opposition to technology?
>A: As near as I can tell, people regard Y2K as an act of God, not of
>technology, and they understand it no better than the Egyptians
>understood a plague of locusts. If it is as bad as I think it will
>be, people will react as they always do in anger, going after more
>and better rather than rejecting the whole thing: if I hate my wife,
>I want a better, younger woman, not celibacy.

[...]

>Q: What emerging technologies should we be especially concerned about?
>A: The computer, particularly the PC will bring unmitigated
>disaster, simply because it enables the powers of this society to do
>faster and more efficiently the kinds of things it likes to do, with
>resulting social disintegration, economic polarization, and
>environmental devastation.

[...]

>Q: What are some of your upcoming projects?
>A: I am planning to do a book on Robert Fulton and the impact of
>steam technology on the settling and development of America. The
>steamboat, lest we forget, is the harbinger of the industrial
>revolution for America, and is its central symbol, as the steam
>factory was for Britain, and I think it will be salutary for an
>American audience to understand why it has the technologies it has
>and what they have done in shaping the country the way it is. In
>brief, the steamboat opened the way for settlement of the heartland,
>the destruction of nature, the elimination of the native population,
>the development of a cotton/slave economy, and the Civil War.

[...]