(no subject)

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jul 3 09:18:30 PDT 2001

> Objects become the concepts by which
>this prime directive identifies them and their significance, so that can
>leave really important aspects of the things objectified out of the picture
>altogether.
>
>And we become such objects, too - under a rationality of control that
>denies our life in the now. And we forget we're the subjects in the piece,
>too, and could make the present master of the future rather than vice
>versa.
>
>So there ya go, a mix of Weberian bleakness and a potentially revolutionary
>subject/object dialectic ... I think the author meant it as the latter,
>but, as time went on, seemed to tend towards the former reading.
>
>Dunno if that's right, and don't know if this is where Dennis was intending
>to take us, but there it is.
>
>Cheers,
>Rob.

So here in the--enormously wealthy by all previous standards--industrial core we *should* have broken through into the realm of freedom. But then we take our culture and turn around and reenslave ourselves: we reenter the realm of necessity by deciding that what we "need" is not to live our lives but to acquire the cash to buy a Ford Expedition and a projection TV?

Brad DeLong