(no subject)

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jul 3 09:16:10 PDT 2001

> >I don't know what Brad's second point was, but surely his first, that the
>>discourse as reported was every bit as convoluted and dense as the worst
>>piece of Judith Butler prose, is correct. If that is to be forgiven in
>>Jameson but not in Butler, one must ask why?
>
>It's Wednesday now, so I think I may respond.
>
>I've much sympathy with Brad and Leo's point, Fred can be a bloody
>frustrating read at times, but remind them that on this occasion, the words
>may not be his. Dennis is clearly in an excited state of conference
>afterglow, a mood that caught me, even if I didn't quite get what he was
>saying.

Smart people, really smart people--Perry Anderson, for example--think that Fred Jameson has something important to say. Now it is true that Perry Anderson once that that Althusser had something important to say, so his judgment is not flawless. But it is very good.

So given that it seems to me likely to be important to listen to Jameson, I find it somewhat frustrating that it is so... dense...

Brad DeLong