Defining Fascism

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Sun Jul 1 09:02:52 PDT 2001

OK, I stand corrected. I like Brad DeLong's definition of fascism. I'll run with it pending further comments from lbo-sters.

I also like Michael Perelman's comment.

<< Brad DeLong:

I always thought that fascism had five important elements:

- --A strong belief that--through social darwinism--morality is ultimately tied to blood and race, understood as descent and genetic relationship.

- --A strong rejection of the classical "liberal" belief that individuals have rights that any legitimate state is bound to respect.

- - -In its place, an assertion that individuals have duties to the state, seen as the decision-making organ of the collectivity.

- --A strong belief that parliamentary democracy is not the way to choose the leaders of the state: a combination of charismatic expression and bureaucratic oligarchism is.

- - -A strong fear of Marxist communism, and an eagerness to use any and all weapons--suspension of parliamentary democracy, mass propaganda, rallies, street violence, and so forth--to combat it.

So I don't think calling the current Russian or the current Chinese governmetn "fascist" is terribly useful. They have some of these elements, but not all of them.

Michael Perelman:

Brad's definition of fascism was excellent, except the part below might use some modification. I think that he should add that the state has the responsibility of serving the people (Volk) as a whole. Of course, no fascist regimes did that any more than liberal regimes respect the rights of individuals when they are inconvenient.

-- John K. Taber