FW: WHICH ROAD TO QATAR: FOOD FIRST OR EXPORT FIRST?

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Jul 1 09:49:04 PDT 2001

Switching to export crops is not usually voluntary for many farmers. Gavin Wright wrote a book about something similar in the US South. Corn was the logical crop for poor farmers, but the banks would only give credit for growing cotton. So, they had no choice.

Also, export crops may get extra support, such as irrigation project for the large export farmers, which takes water away from the small farmers.

So, it is not as if everyone who wants to grow an export crop just chooses to do so.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu