FW: WHICH ROAD TO QATAR: FOOD FIRST OR EXPORT FIRST?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jul 1 09:50:36 PDT 2001

>Mark Jones wrote:
>
>>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>> Do farmers not want to export their crops?
>>
>>Which farmers? And why would the "farmers" in question want to export their
>>crops?
>
>Well let's ask them. I know U.S. farmers certainly like exporting
>their crops. What about Indian farmers? Have we heard from them, or
>is V. Shiva the designated spokesperson for them in their speechless
>subalternity?
>
>Doug

Surely Cubans want to export their sugar, tobacco, genetically engineered medicine, etc. to the USA & elsewhere. They need forex earned through exports to finance imports.

Even Jose Bove, a militant left-wing sheep farmer against "corporate globalization," wants to export Roquefort cheese. His trashing of McDonald's was in reaction to the punitive 100 percent tariff on some French products -- among them Roquefort cheese -- that the US government placed in retaliation against a French ban of unlabeled hormone-treated American beef.

The question is balance. No nation can afford to rely primarily on exports of such neocolonial products as minerals & agricultural produce to develop their productive forces.

Yoshie