gay-bashing Serb nationalists

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 1 11:00:51 PDT 2001

The cjb.net domain hosts these Serbian skinhead fascists. The American Front post from one of the Third Position lists I lurk on mentions one.

I have a hunch that those BBC pix, had some cadre of the Serbian Radical Party of V. Seselj, a coalition partner and para-military adjunct of Milosevic, Mladic and Karazdic in Bosnia and the rump Republica Srpspska, in their killing sprees.

And this group called Obraz, (Dignity), see this from the SF Chronicle. Michael Pugliese

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/04/18 /MN152779.DTL

Racism defies Serbian democracy Violence grows despite change in leadership Joshua Kucera, Chronicle Foreign Service Wednesday, April 18, 2001 ©2001 San Francisco Chronicle

Belgrade, Yugoslavia -- Despite its reputation as a hotbed of nationalism, Serbia has not been known for racism and intolerance of the sort that has plagued neighbors like Croatia, Hungary and Germany.

But recent incidents of skinhead-style violence and intimidation suggest that an organized, extreme right-wing movement may be emerging.

Organizations that document racist incidents have noticed a rise in the past few months in attacks against Roma, also known as Gypsies, and ethnic Albanians.

And within the space of a few days, stickers with swastikas were placed at Belgrade's Jewish cemetery, a synagogue and an art gallery housing a photo exhibition about Roma. In northern Serbia, vandals broke a plaque commemorating the site of the former synagogue in Zrenjanin and painted a swastika on a similar plaque in Kikinda.

"In the last two to three months, there has been some sort of synchronization of these actions and that's what's really dangerous," said Igor Olujic, a lawyer at the Humanitarian Law Center in Belgrade, who has been documenting the incidents.

"It's not open violence, but I'm afraid it could be the beginning of a neo- Nazi movement," he added.

The incidents have occurred against the disturbing backdrop of the rise of Obraz (Dignity), a group of hard-core nationalists that says it has more than 20,000 members.

Obraz says it has no connection with the attacks or the stickers, but its rhetoric -- including a Web page called Letter to Our Enemies that rails against Jews, gays, Croats, Albanians and several other groups -- is seen as the intellectual support for racist violence.

"It's a racist group, no doubt about it," said Olujic, adding that Obraz may be vulnerable to prosecution under Serbia's law against inciting racial hatred.

"There always was a latent anti-Semitism, but never as blatant as this," said Aca Singer, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities in Yugoslavia.

Olujic remembers seeing skinheads as he grew up in Belgrade in the 1980s. "They were racists," he said, "but didn't do much except sit outside and drink beer in their military pants and Spitfire jackets."

The 1990s, however, brought in a new generation that grew up awash in images of war and nationalist rhetoric orchestrated by former President Slobodan Milosevic. "These kinds of ideas have had an effect on young people," Olujic said.

The miserable economic situation brought about by sanctions, ruinous central planning and the 1999 NATO bombing have left many young people feeling hopeless. The inability to travel abroad has narrowed their perspectives, and the Internet has helped them discover hate groups in other countries.

"Because they don't have anything else, they start to believe in this," Olujic said. "They have a very bad economic situation and they don't know who is to blame, so they tell themselves that it's the Roma, the Jews, the Croats or the Albanians."

In Belgrade early last month, a group of about 15 skinheads attacked a tram with several Roma families in it, hitting them with bottles and rocks and singing anti-Roma songs.

A few days later, a group of three Serbians broke the window of a pastry shop owned by ethnic Albanians in a northern Serbian town and then attacked the owner and his son, shouting "What are you Shiptars doing in Kosovo and Macedonia killing?" (Shiptar is a derogatory word for Albanians.)

'FREEDOM TO ATTACK'

Ironically, the incidents are becoming more prominent just as the new democratic government led by President Vojislav Kostunica has come to power.

"Maybe people think they received their freedom to attack others," said Singer of the Jewish Federation.

Obraz has deliberately increased its presence since the new government took over, said the group's president, Nebojsa Krstic.

Although Krstic said he voted for Kostunica -- a strong nationalist -- he strongly objects to more liberal elements of the ruling coalition, whom he calls false patriots. He said Obraz will eventually field its own candidates for political office, and he considers Obraz an ideological kin to Britain's Conservative Party.

The group has established a foothold at Belgrade University, where professors and students have become members, and Obraz stickers are a common sight.

"We just like our people and our country. We don't hate anybody," said one student, 22-year-old Bojan Vicentic. "But we want to defend ourselves if we are in danger."

BUILDING PARANOIA Throughout the 1990s, Milosevic cultivated Serbians' paranoia that the entire world was arrayed against them, creating conditions for racist groups to take root, said Dragan Popadic, a professor of social psychology at Belgrade University.

"The main problem is not the frequency of these events but the indifference of society toward them," he said. "After all these wars, we were desensitized to hate speech, and now we can't recognize it."

Popadic said the Kostunica administration, which contains many strong nationalists, has abetted the trend by not making clear that an acceptable form of patriotism does not include attacks on others.

"I don't think (members of the government) perceive these (racist) ideas as their own, but they think it's not too important and . . . don't see it as being as dangerous as they should," he said.

Singer said he has noticed some small changes since Kostunica took over. During the last decade, Singer met several times with Milosevic, who promised to do what he could to stop sporadic anti-Semitic incidents but never publicly denounced them.

But after the recent anti-Semitic stickers were discovered, Kostunica condemned the actions and apologized on behalf of the Serbian people.

'REMNANT OF A REMNANT'

Serbia's Jews are now just "a remnant of a remnant," those left over after the Holocaust and a mass migration to Israel, Singer said.

"For the moment, I don't see any danger for the few thousand Jews living here. But if this continues, we don't know what will happen."

Yugoslavia's police and judicial system are slowly learning to recognize and prosecute racist crimes, Olujic said. In the southern city of Nis, two skinhead Serbians are being tried in the attack on a Roma teenager. For the first time in Yugoslav legal history, the two are being prosecuted under the law against inciting racial hatred.

Olujic said most young people who adopt the skinhead pose do so because it is fashionable, and they will be scared off if they think they could go to jail. But if the state and society continue to turn a blind eye to racism, he said, a movement similar to that in eastern Germany could arise.

©2001 San Francisco Chronicle Page A - 12